Tuesday, July 13, 2010

2:14 Attitude!

I've never needed blood pressure meds, or nerve pills, but every time I sit through two hours of lab with background music of grumbling and complaining, I come a little bit closer to spontaneous combustion. I step outside to breathe deeply, drink in the sunlight, and then push myself back into the classroom for another hour and fifteen minutes of smart mouth comments from my classmates.


I am reminded of one parent's exhortation to her children, that they should have a "2:14 Attitude." Nobody wants to be in this class, especially not during the summer, but we have no choice. Instead of "grumbling and complaining," why not keep in mind that we only have 2 weeks left? Why not keep our mouths closed and our ears open so that we can get out of class sooner? Why?

Since I see no hope of this taking place, I think instead of the book of James and its warnings against the power of the tongue. I ask God to "set a guard, O Lord, over my lips; set a watch over the door of my mouth," (Psalm something). I ask God to help me love my classmates with the love of Christ, because I do not have this love in myself. I hold onto the hope that in addition to a reward in Heaven for trying to be like Christ, I will also receive my diploma in 2 weeks! And that makes it all worthwhile.

No comments:

Post a Comment