Well friends, it's official! All the papers are turned in, my name on the class rosters, and the textbooks in a bag by the door. I'm all grown up and ready to start grad school -- at 8am tomorrow. Yay. Since most of us went to the same small college in south GA, I thought I might tell you about my experience here.
First, I had to be fingerprinted because I my degree is in the education division. This required a drive to the next town, but wasn't too bad, except that my pinkies didn't want to cooperate. Then I had to meet my professors. I donned my homemade Nicaragua skirt (Jen knows what I mean) and Tevas and trekked over to the Center For Global Education, which is where their offices are. I met with them for about ten minutes, and we had a nice chat about onions and the location of the nearest mall. We also talked about why I want to be a teacher, what I hope to learn, and I mentioned why I think being home-schooled will give me a unique perspective as a teacher. My advisor's children were home-schooled. score. We are a subculture as diverse as the US itself, yet we always seem to find one another somehow. (The important thing is to establish yourself as "not one of those weirdos," which I usually do, but then I was wearing a homemade skirt, so I dunno.) After I chose my classes and found out I could finish as soon as next December, I called it quits for the day.
The next step was what they call "registration confirmation," which I thought was a bit unnecessary since I just signed up for classes, but I followed all the other kids to what I deduced must be the right building. Thankfully there were signs with big arrows, and not a very long line. After the nice lady looked up my ID number, which I didn't know, I signed some papers and voila! I'm a student. The lady told me where to get my ID card made, and of course I went to the wrong place, but I finally got it and the picture is surprisingly not half bad.
Obviously my first order of business was to explore the library, which has 4 floors. FOUR. Some kind young fellow explained to me how to make the computer let me look up books. The arrangement of the library is a bit confusing, and it seems that there are more periodicals and government documents than literary works, in spite of the massive Humanities building that sits in the center of campus. Strange. But I found what I was looking for in the "alcove," which holds books number 900-999 and Juvenile Fiction.
This completes your tour of Rebecca's grad school registration process. The end.
Riveting! An inspirational piece! But seriously, good luck! I hope everything goes well for you tomorrow! I love you!
ReplyDeleteI loved reading your adventure, AND that there are books in the alcove :)
ReplyDelete