I stood stiffly with my eyes wide as the woman surveyed me with a mixture of surprise and confusion. I passed a piano on my way in, but I couldn't find the coffee bar. Several people sat around tables and welcomed me inside, although I thought they looked a little old for the coffee shop scene. They had pointed me to the elderly lady who smiled and asked if she could help me. "Can I get a cup of coffee?"
She was very generous and explained to me that "This is a ministry. But we have a pot of coffee and you are welcome to a cup and a seat!" I accepted the styrofoam cup and pulled up a chair, mostly out of politeness. I sat for a minute, sort of in a daze, while I took in the scene. I politely excused myself to continue exploring. Everything I see is new to me, and I am new to everyone else. The lady at the public library wouldn't give me a library card because I couldn't show her a piece of mail verifying my address. "Guess you'll have to send yourself a postcard." The man at the post office was very nice, as was his lady coworker. I had a nice chat with them. I think we'll be friends. Not come-over-and-watch-tv friends, but hi-there-remember-me-I-come-here-often friends. Something along the lines of my camaraderie with Mrs. JoAnn the cafeteria lady. Speaking of TV, I called and got a nice deal on a package with internet, local telephone, and extended basic cable. I only have to wait a week before they come hook me up with the outside world! In the meantime, Java Garden is fifteen minutes from home with a cheap cup of coffee and a free hour of internet. Guess I'll make some more come-here-often friends.
Aw Becca, this makes me miss you a whole lot! I want to hear all about your adventures. And I def want to visit!!
ReplyDelete