Ok, where was I... oh yes! Monday.
I finally got a library card, having received two pieces of mail (from netflix) to prove the I do, in fact, live here. Like I would drive from another town to use their library... sheesh... I then found out that I needed a computer pass, not a library card, to get online. You only need a driver's license for that. Alas, I get three 30-minute computer sessions per day, and I understand why -- that place is packed! I have yet to successfully locate and check out a single book, but there are always people huddled around the computer center making friendly conversation and exchanging glances when they overhear something ridiculous.
Tuesday I connected to the internet at McDonald's, which had been a little persnickety when I tried before. (Since when does McDonald's have the right to be persnickety?) This was a wonderful breakthrough, as I learned the hard way that the library doesn't open until lunch on Tues. and Thurs. The lady kind of yelled at me, and I'm not gonna lie, I was upset. I was trying to maintain a healthy diet, but I had to cave because my Daddy taught me that you don't use a business's services without buying something. So I went for the cheapest thing worth eating, a baked apple pie (hence the title of my previous blog), hot fudge sundae, and Wed. morning I hauled myself down there before 10 to catch a sausage biscuit meal and observe the senior coffee men. So precious. Thursday the cable guy came, and my adventures in finding reliable internet came to an end.
Somewhere between all of this, I found out that in JC the mail carrier does not pick up outgoing mail from my mailbox. One must drive to the post office or nearest postal drop box. I applied for jobs at Lowe's, Walgreens, and CVS, and left my resume at the newspaper office ("Sugar, we're all holding on for dear life to our own jobs here!"). Oh yeah, and I typed up my resume. Getting that printed out will cost you 25c/page at the library. Fortunately I now own a printer. I also sent in my resume in response to a newspaper ad for "Service Assistant" at the Jeff. Co. Neighborhood Service Center. Hopefully somebody will want me!
Strangely enough, it seems that every time I tried to do something productive or responsible this week, I hit a brick wall. Always something not being possible, being turned away from the library at 10am, thrift store only open on weekends, missing the FedEx man twice... selling my rollerblades for 99c and paying $2 more than the quote for shipping... I was beginning to wonder if this place was trying to spit me back across the border into GA. Oh, and I have no idea if my transcript will get here in time to start classes in two weeks. That's nerve-racking. But such is life, right? Everything's not always coming up roses. Hey, roses have thorns, anyway.
My dear friend Suzanna: "Hey, maybe God has something different in store for you... like a MAN!!!"
No comments:
Post a Comment