[Disclaimer: This is in no way to be taken as a self-centered Gospel. Rather, my hope is that by realizing my own humble state, I might exalt the One who is able to overcome, and thus be better able to bring His message of hope to those who also find themselves falling short of His glory.]
----------------------------------
"You're the defender of the weak, You comfort those in need..."
I sang these words tonight for the umpteen-hundredth time (and the second time today). Images came to mind of my friend in Romania who's taking Christmas gifts to the orphanage this weekend. I thought of the children's faces on the World Vision brochure in my purse. I thought of the refugees who flood into our cities without homes, without jobs, without the English-speaking ability they need to make a living here.
And then I thought of myself.
I thought of high school, of being a lost little college freshman. I thought of the countless small choices that raised big questions. I thought of the past four months. I thought of all the times I've been asked, "Why are you so different?" and I said nothing. I thought of that moment when temptation is so loud, when my spirit is almost willing but my flesh is so... weak.
That's when it hit me: God's strength is not just for people who live in third world countries. His comfort is not only for children whose parents don't want them. One day, every nation, tribe, and tongue will gather before Him, because He is the God of EVERY nation, tribe, and tongue. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I suppose that includes nerdy blonde American girls with slight southern accents. I think it includes you, too.
Why am I so quick to assume that I am not the one to be defended, that I am not among those in need? I will boast gladly about my weaknesses so that the power of Christ may dwell in me -- for when I am weak, then I am strong.
He is not just their hope and strong Deliverer... Praise God, He is our hope and strong Deliverer.
amen! oh, and thank God!
ReplyDelete