Wednesday, February 2, 2011

difernt

I'm beginning to understand something about myself: I don't like Americans.

I do love them with the love of Christ. I want each one of them to know Him, to experience His abundant life. But I'd much rather be friends with a foreigner, or for that matter, even be a foreigner.

chopsticks > sporks


But then again, I never have been like everyone else. No matter how hard I try, I cannot be normal. I just can't. I can't make friends in my peer group; I'd rather hang out with older women, borrowed parents, and people somewhat younger than myself. I can't be a herd animal. I can't buy things I know I could make for a fraction of the cost. I can't laugh at SNL because it isn't funny. I can't wear trendy clothes because they're... trendy.

I hate conformity (not to be confused with submission, I'm ok with that). I can't subject my likes/dislikes, my daily habits, my sense of humor, my footwear to the pressure of homogeneity. I'd rather be markedly different than not quite same enough to match. I mean, you don't wear violet pants and a lavender shirt just because they're both "purple." You wear that lavender shirt with pants of some different but complementary color! This is common sense, folks.

So perhaps this is why I find myself befriending the underdogs, the outcasts, the immigrants and exchange students. I find common ground with those who know nothing of norms, either in themselves or their friends. It's comforting to know that we're not expecting anything but open minds, generosity to share ourselves, and peculiarities unveiled. When we're all foreigners, our differences are what we have in common.

I've spent my whole life trying to befriend you, American youth, and how often you've turned your nose up at me. Sometimes the feeling is mutual.

1 comment:

  1. Wow.
    Thank you.
    I thought I was the only one.
    You're splendid.
    For so many reasons.
    One of them being that you are you, most incredibly so.

    ReplyDelete