Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Life of Faith

      I've been studying Hebrews for the past month, and not a day has gone by that God hasn't blown my mind! There is so much here that I need to remember, so much that encourages and challenges me, that sometimes I think God may have written this book just for me.
      This week I began chapter 11, the "faith chapter," which until recently was probably the only chapter I was familiar with. But in the true spirit of inductive Bible study, after studying the rest of the book up to this point (context!), I see so much more than I ever realized was in this Sunday School chapter. Faith is not pixie dust; it is what always has and always will please God. I would like to share with you course of a New Covenant believer's life of faith as seen in the Old Covenant lives of Hebrews 11:1-12 (this will make a lot more sense if you'll please take a few moments to read the Scripture yourself, plus you'll know I'm not making it up).

By faith...

We believe that God is Creator (John 1).
We worship God and are counted righteous (then through Abel's sacrifice, now through Christ's, Heb. 9:26, 10:10-12).
Praise God, like Enoch, we know that we will not see death! (John 8:51)
We continually seek God and know Him (2 Chron. 15:2, Jer. 29:13, Matt. 6:33).
We warn others (as Noah), to their salvation (Matt. 3:1-3, Luke 24:46-48).
Like Abraham, we live in full obedience to the voice of God and His calling on our lives (Acts 5:29).
God shows us His faithfulness, sometimes in crazy ways (like Sarah being able to conceive)! It becomes the norm in a believer's life to witness things that could only be credited to God.
      
          It makes so much sense: In verses 1-2 the author tells us that faith, in things hoped for but not yet seen, is what approved those who came before us. This clearly sets up the next several verses as a summary of the Old Testament life of faith, which is different from ours only in that we have seen the Messiah promise fulfilled. What a God, who has not changed, nor will He! The Old Testament believers knew God in the same way that we do: by faith.

    *There is so much more awesomeness in Hebrews! I could talk all day... But I think this would be better sans internet and with coffee, no?

    No comments:

    Post a Comment