Tuesday, April 12, 2011

contrastive rhetoric

"Hellooo, Tuesday! gosh, you're going to be long." <-- my exact thought when I heard my phone beep at 9:00 this morning. Why am I getting a text at this time?

I know, I'm rather spoiled to have still been in bed at 9... but I like to think I'm just making up for all the hours of sleep I missed in McAllister over the past 4 years (which ended almost a year ago. YIKES!). Besides, one day I'll have a real job and I'll never get to sleep late again until retirement, by which time my body will naturally start at 5am. This is my last chance! I have to sleep in while I still can, right?!

So, I was right, this day started being busy the moment I opened my eyes and ended with a microwave chicken pot pie that left a blister in my mouth which was soon popped by a whole wheat cracker. ouch. Yet for some reason, I simply love Tuesday.

No, I don't exactly relish my Tuesday morning English Syntax class. Grammar comes in handy every now and then, but it still hasn't paid off like I hoped it would a year ago, so I've kind of lost interest. But I always learn something interesting on Tuesday. Today I learned that you should always have your backpack stocked for various emergencies, that Korean and Taiwanese students make similar speech errors, and that the British Pound is equal to 2 US Dollars. Here's my favorite thing I learned today: a Japanese 4-part rhetorical pattern called Ki Shou Ten Ketsu (I think?).

Ki: Introduce the subject. "Two sisters browse in a bookstore."
Shou: Define the subject. "They are slender and move quietly through the aisles."
Ten: Make an unexpected turn that may seem unrelated. "Samurai kill with their swords."
Ketsu: Bring everything together in an unexpected way. "These sisters kill with their eyes."
(Taken from Dr. Brock's lesson; not my original composition.)

Try it!

1 comment:

  1. interesting, I guess all languages have their own way of explaining rhetoric...though the exact terminology I should know escaped me.

    ReplyDelete