Saturday, April 16, 2011

rant. shameless rant.

Before you read this, I want you to know that I don't hate being single. I enjoy sitting on my couch at night with a good book and a cup of hot tea (or pint of ice cream). I don't mind the freedom to do what I want, when I want, and with whom I want. I love the solitude, the chance to finally catch my breath and figure out who I am when nobody's watching. BUT it seems that people my age are starting to think they should get married. I guess that's not a bad idea, if that's what you're into.

Here's my question: What exactly qualifies a person to make this decision? Because when I look around at the people I know who are committing their lives to each other (not all of them, but some), I have to wonder what exactly it takes to be considered a good future spouse.

I log into facebook and see wedding pictures of a boy who in the fourth grade said "oh look, that homely girl can play the piano." And yes, he said that to my face. to. my. face. I know that was a long time ago and people do change, but let's face it, who you essentially are as a child doesn't change too terribly much. God may work in your life, but the self you will be fighting on the day you die is the same self you were born with. There are many exceptions, but people who aren't nice kids don't usually grow up to be especially kind adults, either.

And then there are the oddballs. You know, those people who are pathetically awkward and generally outcasts. The high-maintenance girl, the overbearing boy, the one who's dated 6 people in the last two years but is suddenly ready to settle down... Yet someone thinks it's a nice idea to live with them forever. Do you get my point? It just makes me wonder, that's all.

I know a lot of you really are made for each other, and I couldn't be happier for you. I don't think there's anything more beautiful in life than a healthy marriage; it's the ultimate picture of our relationship with Christ. I hope one day I have the joy of being a wife, and even now I'm learning to be a better Bride to my Savior. Being perfect is by no means a requirement, because none of us are perfect. Thank God for grace and mercy in dealing with me -- I need to show more of those in my relationships.

But seriously... Why all these crazy people gettin married to each other?!

No comments:

Post a Comment