Monday, May 9, 2011

WANTED:

Do not say, “Why is it that the former days were better than these? 
For it is not from wisdom that you ask about this. 
                                                           -Ecclesiastes 7:10



We all have them -- those thoughts that creep into our minds when we least expect them. Regret, worry, longing, confusion, hurt, bittersweet memories of "the former days" that seem so much better in retrospect...

I can log into facebook and see a post on my news feed from someone, and within five minutes I've relived every hurtful word that person ever said. The next thing I know, it's thirty minutes later and my blood is boiling. Then I go to Sonic and get annoyed with the skating carhop who brings me a Cherry Sprite instead of Cherry Dr. Pepper. It's not her fault I got my feelings hurt two years ago.

You're looking through old pictures and find that friend who never did quite catch the hints. Before you know it, you're standing in front of the mirror thinking, "What, do I need more eyeshadow?" Just when you finally convince yourself it's ok, the phone rings and you're disappointed to see who isn't calling.

Or maybe it's just a fond memory: finding a note from a friend in an old textbook, realizing the TV show was funnier with your roommate, seeing that one of your graduation pictures is now the background for this year's invitation. They were good times, the "former days," but they're gone.

Look how sad I've made you! Do you see my point? This is the power the mind has over our emotions! I distinctly remember a psychology professor telling us, "Don't ever let anyone tell you that you can't control your emotions. You absolutely can, and that's a scientific fact." I don't know much about science, but I know that my mood has gone down a bit since I started typing this. Just thinking about sad things has a dimming effect.


...though we walk in the flesh, we do not war according to the flesh, for the weapons of our warfare are not of the flesh, but divinely powerful for the destruction of fortresses. We are destroying speculations and every lofty thing raised up against the knowledge of God, and we are taking every thought captive to the obedience of Christ... (2 Cor. 10:3-5)

Am I suggesting that it's a sin to be sad? Not exactly. But I do not believe that unnecessary, unbridled sadness leads to the "knowledge of God." I believe that unforgiveness, regret, and discontent can become strongholds. I also believe that we can get rid of them. Now, I'm not about to add to the number of books already written about this. Instead, here is my completely un-theological but practical solution: the "WANTED" poster.

Go get a pen and a piece of paper right now, and at the top write WANTED: sadness. Now think about all the times you've been sad over the past few days or weeks. What started it? You were fine until something... Write it down. Now go through that list and commit every single thing to your Savior, asking His forgiveness for letting it live this long. 

Next time one of those thoughts starts creeping up and calls a duel, take it captive and win. Sadness is for the caged bird, and that's not you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment