Wednesday, July 6, 2011

homework

I had to write this for an assignment in my Human Development class. It's based on this original poem by George Ella Lyon. I kind of like it, so I thought I'd share!

Where I'm From, by Rebecca Suzanne

I am from a cast iron skillet, from Peter Pan Peanut Butter and Ivory Soap.

I am from a yellow house in the cul-de-sac, from my Daddy and his dog howling together at the overhead light. I am from Super Mario Brothers, World 10-2, paused for dinner. I am from city water and seven miles to the blessed countryside.

I am from long needled pines and cotton fields of Georgia snow, from the plump orange sunrise over the pond and a cup of coffee -- warm milk for me. From a red clay road with a dead end sign.

I am from Brady and Denton, Verdie Pearl and Marietta, chubby cheeks and short legs, from taking your precious time.

I am from the big red dictionary and being smart enough to figure it out yourself, from survivors and small business and adventure stories.

I am from “you’re gonna get a spankin if you don’t quit.” From knowing better than that and looking twice before you cross the street, and not arguing with a fool.

I am from the third pew in the First Baptist Church and Sunday dinner at the truck stop, from the fellowship hymn and the Doxology, I don’t care how late you stayed up last night.

I'm from the south end of the county, from fried okra and cheese grits. From the day I found out I’d have a baby sister, and taking Aunt Thelma’s porch swing as high as it would go.

I am from a box of love letters in Mama’s closet, from a stop at the curb store for a cold drink. I am from the big oak blanket chest, from the 70’s on vinyl, my fingerprints on the fancy silverware. I’m from keeping it in the family, right where it belongs, right where I belong.

1 comment:

  1. Oh. my. gosh. Becca. This is incredible! I love this toooo much! Publish! Publish! Publish!

    ReplyDelete