Sunday, September 4, 2011

oh, TESL...

I love internationals! That's no secret. Well, lately I've been having a lot of moments when I become very much aware of the company I keep. You are the people you associate with, right?

You might hang out with Asian students if you...

-recently purchased a shoe shelf to go by your back door
-feel guilty for keeping your shoes on in American friends' homes
-complain because the food at the Chinese buffet can't really be eaten with chopsticks
-know what the spicy red sauce is called
-have American friends who know when you're quoting an international because you pick up an accent
-can't go more than a few days without eating rice -- sticky rice, not Uncle Ben's
-know what a rice cooker is
-often prepare food according to cartoon drawings because you can't read the instructions
-call someone about a job and instead of "Hi, this is _____," you say "Hello, I am _____."
-don't get nauseated at the smell of kimchi
-have tried several varieties of kimchi and have a preference
-get the urge to make the peace sign next to your face in pictures
-would describe a Hot Pocket as "a giant egg roll with a hot, saucy filling."

...that last one was the kicker for me. I just had to laugh at myself. I love it! But seriously, how DO you describe a hot pocket to someone who's never seen one? 

1 comment:

  1. bahahahahaha... Rebecca, I love you so much! I'm so glad you understand my life :)

    ReplyDelete