Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Tell me what you think about...

Spanking -- a psychologist on the news just advised spankers to seek professional help "because it is available."

Christians making and/or enjoying melancholy and/or explicit art (visual, music, literature) -- because Joy Williams, former CCM artist, is the female half of The Civil Wars.
*By "art" I mean, of course, works of creative notoriety that are not vulgar for shock factor, but truly seek to portray some aspect of human experience.

The state of "Christian music"

Technology in education

WIC vouchers being accepted by fast food establishments -- because it's a possibility.

---------------

Instead of continuing to flood my twitter followers with opinion, I decided to move all of these to blog-land. Please feel free to say what you really think, even if you feel the need to comment anonymously.
Thanks!

2 comments:

  1. I was spanked as a child and I'm psychologically okay. That form of punishment worked for me until a certain age and other punishments tended to do better. I think the parents need to find out what punishment works for their kids. As for my parents they did not receive joy from spanking nor was it an impulsive act. Therefore I believe that particular psychologist believes their own method is probably best and that spanking is barbaric and is put in the same category as those who beat their children.

    if God has given the talent to someone in the arts I think they should use it. I also think it is important for the artist to be real and express real human emotions and experience. I sort of feel that is what art is about Christian or not. (I'm also a big CW fan)

    Sometimes I feel smh about Xian music. At other times it really is helpful for me drawing close to God. Lately I have been more into Christians who make art ( not just G-d name droppers to grab the Christian market) because you get s fuller picture of Christ interaction with all humanity, a fuller experience in raw human emotion, and sometimes just fun stuff. Christian music is not a genre but there are times when I feel like all the "top songs" sound the same and creativity has left the building. Also there are time when I'm frustrated with the intentional separation bt secular and sacred.

    Im on the fence with tech in education. There are times in can be extremely helpful tool to help communicate better and other times it can be distracting. For instance we were working with a refugee that spoke French so we used my phones translator to help teach them English. There are also times in class where I see other students chilling on Facebook instead of being engaged in our lecture.

    WIC in fast food? I would give a limit for ff. Let's be honest sometimes it's bt ff and not eating for me and I would expect that to happen for parents too. But I definitely wouldn't set the system up where the the child can get a majority of their food at those places bc of the lack of nutritional value.

    Real quick what does zac Hanson have to do with this?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for you comments! Zac Hanson... sometimes I just tag things to see if anyone reads the tags... plus the Hanson brothers claim to be Christians and are musicians, so I figured it fit.

    ReplyDelete