Thursday, October 6, 2011

the mountains faith moved

I've climbed a few mountains lately, literally and figuratively speaking.

It all started when a dear friend invited me to fast with her. (Have you noticed how often I credit the influence of a dear friend? I'm so thankful for them!) The original plan was to fast for a specific need which shall be here undisclosed. So I decided that for a few weeks I would fast on Mondays. Rule of thumb: never be surprised at what happens.

Mountain #1. The sad thing is that I LOVE to eat -- I'm the girl who thanks God specifically for whatever I'm eating. "Father, thank you so much for the man who invented pizza." Honestly, I think it's an act of obedience and only with an obedient spirit will it do you any good. I defeated my body three times by feeding it juice and coffee when it wanted chicken. (I should confess that I did use a protein shake after realizing my body wasn't able to safely drive to work, but it wasn't solid food so I didn't get any enjoyment from it, at least). I also abstained from facebook on fasting days and from all secular music on days in-between. This was difficult, and I'm not going to lie and say I never slipped, but overall I think I came out in the lead over the flesh.

Mountain #2. So, I didn't eat a couple of times, and the funniest thing happened. That thing I was fasting for? I'm not so desperate for it anymore. Don't get me wrong, I still believe it will happen, but through some intense prayer, some truths from the Word about faith (see this post), and the heart-changing work of the Holy Spirit, I've come to see that God is more than capable of meeting my needs. He has already made provision for things I don't even know to ask for yet. The problem was not that I had a need (more of a want right now), it was that I really didn't believe God could or would meet it. I know that all sounds so vague, but just know that a huge mountain of doubt was moved from my heart through this time of fasting and prayer.

Mountain #3. Also during my time of fasting, I felt God disciplining me very firmly about a couple of things He's been asking me to do for quite awhile. I won't go into details, but He made it pretty clear that He meant business. I am so thankful for His grace that carries us through obedience and gives us the courage to be people of integrity. On my own I am not a person of integrity; I am a coward. The results may not have all been what I expected, and honestly there's still more to be seen, but let this continuing saga of obedience count as mountain number three -- cowardice toppled.

Mountain #4. The most physically demanding of them all: Mt. LeConte! Shortly after I moved to TN I added "climb a mountain" to my bucket list, and I planned for that mountain to be this favorite of Smokies visitors and residents alike. You have to understand that this has been one of the biggest things I've whined to God about lately. nobody would take me hiking, if I had a boyfriend he would take me, if I were a man I could just go by myself, yadda yadda yadda... It may seem like a trivial request, but I really felt like it was God's way of saying, "I hear you!" when I was finally able to make the trip with our campus hiking group. It was significantly colder than we expected, but fortunately I did have a hat and gloves with me. In a matter of hours we climbed from a cool and colorful autumn forest to a mountain-top winter wonderland! It was a long, exhausting, FREEZING day, but well worth the effort to stay warm and on my feet. That's one more bucket list item checked, and one more mountain moved climbed!

...and all because I believe that "God is and that He is a rewarder of those who seek Him." (Heb. 11:6)
view along the Alum Cave Trail

Alum Cave Trail as it approaches LeConte Lodge

It's a little scary up here!


Adding my stone to the ever-growing cairn, saying "I was here, too!"
I confess that I did burst out singing "Here I raise mine ebenezer, hither by thy help I've come..."

2 comments:

  1. LOVE. THIS. For so many reasons....
    1. It's written by you. 'nuf said.
    2. I LOVE MOUNTAINS.
    3. I also have been fasting and STRUGGLING with it as a fellow food-lover.
    4. I love that song. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Becca, that's good stuff...So, I want to visit and make a hike up a mountain. I can't find anybody to hiking with here. :)

    ReplyDelete