Thursday, November 3, 2011

pinterest!

Ok, if you don't have pinterest, I want you to stop right now and go sign up. You'll be put on the waiting list for an "invitation," but that process took less than a day for me. So far I've found recipes, daydreams, and incredibly inexpensive home organization ideas!

I am all about home organization. You might not know it if you saw my apartment right now, but I'm trying to get things in place. I've only lived here a year, right? It's never too late to get your life together! By the time I figure out where everything goes, it'll be time for me to move again... sigh... I like to think I'm just practicing so it won't take so long in my next home. Last weekend I tackled my one food cabinet with immovable shelves that are too close together. I realized it took an unreasonable amount of time to locate my Sleepytime tea, so I took a desk drawer organizer (which I got from the Target "1 spot" a few years ago) and sorted all my tea/instant coffee/hot chocolate into a handy caddy. Instead of searching through multiple containers, now I just pull the whole tray out, get what I need, and slide it back onto the shelf. Great solution for a short chick with lousy cabinets! I must give credit to Better Homes and Gardens for this solution and the next.
drawer organizer = beverage tray
Next I tackled the "over the stove" cabinet, where I kept a huddled mass of seasonings and spices. I got tired of taking down every single bottle to find my basil or cinnamon, so I picked up a pack of three pencil trays at Dollar General for $1 (at Dollar Tree they were $1 EACH! gotta watch those bargain stores!). One has "sweet" things, one has "savory," and one has "spicy." Another great idea would be to label each tray, but I can see what's in them anyway. Again, super cheap and simple way to find what I'm looking for in a snap, and without my stepping stool!
pencil trays = spice trays
Today I took a little stroll through Goodwill, which I do frequently, and found a hideous white TV tray with a huge green pumpkin on it (yes, a green pumpkin). Add a little craft paint and some snazzy button/bottle cap magnets, and voila! This will be hanging above my desk tomorrow. This is my first attempt at making something I saw on pinterest, and assuming I can get it to stay on the wall, I think it was a success!
TV tray = magnet board
Next projects: mittens made out of an old sweater, and a necklace rack from a shower curtain rod and hooks. I can hardly wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment