Chris Rice’s “Cartoon Song” thumps from the speakers, sending my mind to places long forgotten. Only a little while ago I hid in a bathroom stall with a cookies-n-cream milkshake. I gulped down the remnants of my treat and rushed to the auditorium just in time to learn the motions to “Every Move I Make.” The boy in the next row yelled from the top of his lungs to my crush, “SHE WANTS TO KISS YOU!” I don’t know why everybody laughed, because it wasn’t funny at all. How can boys be so mean? A few minutes later I’m sitting on the front row at the first of many concerts, clapping and cheering with my best friend. We have a plan to get the singer’s autograph, which means his beautiful famous self will actually touch our posters. We giggle at the thought and join the “la la la la la la” of “those little blue guys.” As scenes from 90’s cartoons mix with memories from my adolescence, I’m suddenly pulled back to reality by loud applause and the overhead lights. The song and the concert are over, and it’s time to lead nine-year-old campers to their rooms. The rules say lights out at 11:00, but I know the girls will talk and laugh until long after midnight. Some things never change.
No comments:
Post a Comment