"Lov -- twew lov..."
I love the movie The Princess Bride.
But do I? Sometimes I think we use that word a little too loosely. No, far too loosely. I enjoy that movie, but I don't think I could say that I love it. I'm not sure I love chocolate, either, or coffee, or even C.S. Lewis.
I can't be patient with a movie, or kind to it. There's nothing to be envied about chocolate, and even on a less-than-sane day I wouldn't think to brag or be arrogant to my cup of coffee. Ol' Clive never did anything wrong to me, and I can't act unbecomingly toward him (even if he were alive, I wouldn't know him). Do you get my point? I claim to love things which are wholly unloveable, things which can at the very most be strongly liked.
I dislike things I've only been called to love. I fail to love valuable things called individuals, people who are fragile and imperfect and not unlike myself. This is the difference between like and love: love has nothing to do with my personal taste, and everything to do with choosing to look beyond like.
Love tactfully turns down the romantic advances of someone who is simply unsuitable... but always accepts love.
Love sees a person who is unattractive, awkward, and unkind... and loves anyway.
Love hears that a friend is in love with someone I find unlikeable... and loves anyway, loves them both.
Love expects to be embarrassed, ignored, challenged, injured, and maybe sometimes loved... and loves anyway.
The thing with love is that it always gets results. This is probably due to a common misunderstanding of the whole concept, so that the real thing is nothing less than stunning. Anything could happen. That friend who seems a little down on herself... love her. The one who's full of herself? Love her, too. The guy who gets on your nerves. The cafeteria lady. The person who gets mad when you speak the truth in love and concern. The one who talks too loudly or is moody or always late. The best friend who has no idea that he or she is invaluable to you -- make it known.
Love boldly, shamelessly, and selflessly. Love anyway.
(And let me know what happens.)

You know when you've read something good and true and all you're really left with is the urge to cite the Campbell's Soup jingle-thing? MmmMmm...good. I need to redo my lexicon. Better yet, I need to let God love through me. Thank you for your challenge, Becca.
ReplyDeleteWhat Courtney said!
ReplyDeleteWow, I have never thought about it quite that way. To quote Courtney and Campbells: "MmmMmm good!"
ReplyDelete