Friday, April 15, 2011

your weekend

Another list for you. (Sorry, I know I haven't been blogging very creatively, but it's the simple things that have really been bringing me joy lately!) So I want you to make sure you make time for some things this weekend, ok?

Coffee should not come from a paper cup. Pour yourself some fresh, home-brewed java (or hot drink of your choice) and sit very still with the warm cup between your hands. Gaze into it, ponder, breathe.

Journals should not be replaced by blogs! There is no substitute for seeing your most private thoughts and feelings in ink. Use your favorite pen (mine is a purple RSVP); your journal is worth it.

Words are powerful. "Many a truth is said in jest," right? So why not skip the jest and make it clear that you're not kidding? Give someone a compliment, and say it like you mean it.

Get out of the house. Even if it's raining, like it will be here... That's what umbrellas are for. You won't melt if you get a little sprinkled. Go for a walk.

Do something you're good at. Maybe you're only good at drawing stick figures or plunking out a melody line or folding your shirts exactly the right way so they fit perfectly in the drawer. Do it and enjoy it!

Eating is not a standing activity. In Japan, you get to lay on the floor! I ate far too many meals off my kitchen counter this week, right before I rushed out the door. Try sitting at the table, or on your sofa, or front porch. It doesn't matter where, as long as you use a fork (or chopsticks) and you're not on your feet.

Laughter is the best medicine, so take a good dose. I was having a rough day Tuesday, but then something funny happened and once I got started, I couldn't stop laughing. Day improved 100%. Let it out! Do whatever it takes to get a good chuckle! (If you're like me, you have to laugh at your jokes because nobody else does.)

Jesus wants to hear from you. Tell Him anything and everything. Trust me, I'm not being cheesy here. I'm telling you seriously that God likes it when you tell Him how much you love acoustic music, when you thank Him specifically for whatever you're eating, for dogwood blooms, for anything. Ask Him when He's going to send "the one" along, and confess that you really don't get along with that lady you work with. He already knows, anyway, and if you can't be yourself with Him, when can you? If you don't do anything else this weekend, do this. Talk, really talk, with God.

Try it!

2 comments:

  1. Yes Yes Yes Yes to all of the above!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really, really, really liked this! Gonna go do a few of those things now. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete