Saturday, July 23, 2011

Table for One: Tangy Chicken with Shriveled Veggies

I just love a good, wholesome, home-cooked meal! Tonight's menu for one: Tangy Chicken Strips, Shriveled Veggies, and Homestyle Green Beans. This is a simple meal using things I always always always have on hand. It can be dinner for two by simply doubling the amounts, of course.



Tangy Chicken Strips
2-3 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Strips (or 1 Chicken Breast)
2 Tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 Squirts (Tbsp?) Mustard
1 Cup Seasoned Bread Crumbs*

Mix worcestershire sauce/mustard and marinate chicken for a few hours. Dredge chicken in bread crumbs and bake at 350 degrees for 10-15 minutes, or until no longer pink in the middle.
*Bread Crumbs: Toast 2 slices of bread (I like wheat) until hard but not toasted. Chop in food processor or blender with seasonings of choice. I used basil, parsley, garlic salt, and ground black pepper.

Veggies Shriveled-Up-Like-A-Prune 
1 New (Red) Potato, cubed
1/2 or 1 Cup Baby Carrots
Slices of Onion (optional)
Brussels Sprouts (optional! I hate brussels sprouts, but mi Mamacita always includes them.)
2 Tbsp. Olive Oil

Mix olive oil with 2 seasoning-bottle-shakes of rosemary & parsley. Toss vegetables to coat. Bake in glass baking dish at 450 degrees for 15 minutes or until potatoes and carrots are soft and slightly browned.
*I cooked the vegetables at 350 with the chicken (but not in the same pan!) and then cranked up the heat for a few minutes after removing the chicken. Also, you can give the veggies a head start in the microwave if you're in a hurry.

Homestyle Green Beans
Snap fresh green beans to desired length (frozen ones are ok, too, but definitely not canned). Cook using method of choice, then coat with a dash of garlic salt, dash of pepper, and a little butter. mmm it's delish!

Bon appetite!

No comments:

Post a Comment