Thursday, July 21, 2011

what exactly does that mean?

I've decided some people just don't think about what they're saying. These are mostly things often said to people like myself, people who are young and unattached and doing well just to eat a balanced meal every couple of days.

1. "Why don't you make more friends?"
What would you suggest I make them out of? I have some construction paper and colored pencils. I could also go the papier mâché route, or the folded paper cutouts that look like they're holding hands when you unfold them. Maybe I could open a toyshop and wait until they come to life at night? I know, I'll just plop myself down in the middle of a crowd and yell, "I hereby declare myself your friend. You are now all morally obligated to invite me to all social functions and accompany me on any adventures which require safety in numbers." It just doesn't work that way.

2. "I can't believe you haven't you found yourself a man yet." or "When are you gonna get a man?"
Tennessee is not a page out of a Where's Waldo book, and Food City doesn't have them half price this week with a value card. If I did happen to find some single men on this side of the state (and I haven't), I can't pick one up like a wildflower and take him home with me. It just doesn't work that way.

3. "Well, I know you were working with [insert name of barely-legal male] this week, I thought for sure you two might have hit it off."
I do have standards, people. That's all I'm gonna say about that.

4. "If I were you I'd go hike a different trail every week or something."
Don't you think I'd love to do that? Of course I think it's a waste to live less than an hour from America's 2nd most popular national park and not spend half my life there. Let me enlighten the male population on the reality of being a woman. Unfortunately, it is neither wise nor safe to go traipsing off into the wilderness alone. Maybe guys can do this, but girls can't, unless we want to end up on the 11:00 news with an 800-number. It just doesn't work that way.

5. "So, what are you gonna do when you finish school?"
I don't even answer this anymore. I think most of you know where I'm coming from on that one.

I think that's enough for now.

1 comment:

  1. 1. Amen.
    2. Amen.
    3. Amen.
    4. Amen.
    5. Amen.
    Thank you. It helps so much to know that I'm not the sole victim of such wretched inquiries.

    ReplyDelete