country music comes on...
cardigans come out of storage...
trees start to show their personalities...
I drive seven hours to breathe in the peanut harvest...
It’s when I can finally lay in the grass or ride my bicycle through the neighborhood without breaking a sweat! Good things happen in October. Welcome changes come in October.
Ten years ago this month, I came to grips with “the reality with which no treaty can be made... the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet... the Divine humility which will accept a convert even on such terms,” (C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy). And boy, what a way to mark a decade of abundant life!
Autumn in the mountains is breath-taking. I never imagined as a child that I would one day live in my favorite vacation spot. I count it one of the most personal expressions of God’s love that He would grant a secret desire of my heart by bringing me to the mountains! Coupled with healthy reverence, I’m kept in submission by these gentle reminders of just how real He is. Not only this, but I have hope that He has heard every other unspoken wish, and although I know my life won’t always be all that I expect, it will never cease to be good as long as it remains His. I look back over the past ten years and see a series of small surrenders and subtle changes, without any of which I would not be living what I couldn’t even have known to dream of.
There have been surprises this month, like finding a perfect red leaf, having a good hair day, reconnecting with an old friend -- or three -- I’d all but given up on. Holding babies. Eating two Carlton burgers instead of one. Not eating alone. Early (and thoughtful) birthday presents. Finding the energy to be nice to bitter people. Doing things I absolutely did not want to do, making choices I’d rather pretend didn’t matter, trying and failing again to share my Hope with someone who doesn’t want to listen.
As good as life has been lately, I have to admit there have been days that felt like running on a treadmill, which I hate -- working hard and getting nowhere. Still, there is great joy in obedience. I think the biggest thing I’ve learned this month is this: God isn’t always concerned with results. Sometimes what God really wants from me is not to accomplish what He could do just as well without me, but just to trust Him and in my obedience to be a reflection of Him. Regardless of what I do or don't accomplish on a given day, it will be a success if I only know Him and show Him a little better.
If October had never done anything else for me, I would still love it for bringing me closer to the Lord of the harvest. Thank you, October.
cardigans come out of storage...
trees start to show their personalities...
I drive seven hours to breathe in the peanut harvest...
It’s when I can finally lay in the grass or ride my bicycle through the neighborhood without breaking a sweat! Good things happen in October. Welcome changes come in October.
Ten years ago this month, I came to grips with “the reality with which no treaty can be made... the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet... the Divine humility which will accept a convert even on such terms,” (C.S. Lewis, Surprised by Joy). And boy, what a way to mark a decade of abundant life!
Autumn in the mountains is breath-taking. I never imagined as a child that I would one day live in my favorite vacation spot. I count it one of the most personal expressions of God’s love that He would grant a secret desire of my heart by bringing me to the mountains! Coupled with healthy reverence, I’m kept in submission by these gentle reminders of just how real He is. Not only this, but I have hope that He has heard every other unspoken wish, and although I know my life won’t always be all that I expect, it will never cease to be good as long as it remains His. I look back over the past ten years and see a series of small surrenders and subtle changes, without any of which I would not be living what I couldn’t even have known to dream of.
There have been surprises this month, like finding a perfect red leaf, having a good hair day, reconnecting with an old friend -- or three -- I’d all but given up on. Holding babies. Eating two Carlton burgers instead of one. Not eating alone. Early (and thoughtful) birthday presents. Finding the energy to be nice to bitter people. Doing things I absolutely did not want to do, making choices I’d rather pretend didn’t matter, trying and failing again to share my Hope with someone who doesn’t want to listen.
As good as life has been lately, I have to admit there have been days that felt like running on a treadmill, which I hate -- working hard and getting nowhere. Still, there is great joy in obedience. I think the biggest thing I’ve learned this month is this: God isn’t always concerned with results. Sometimes what God really wants from me is not to accomplish what He could do just as well without me, but just to trust Him and in my obedience to be a reflection of Him. Regardless of what I do or don't accomplish on a given day, it will be a success if I only know Him and show Him a little better.
If October had never done anything else for me, I would still love it for bringing me closer to the Lord of the harvest. Thank you, October.
When he saw the crowds, he had compassion for them, because they were harassed and helpless, like sheep without a shepherd. Then he said to his disciples, “The harvest is plentiful, but the laborers are few; therefore pray earnestly to the Lord of the harvest to send out laborers into his harvest.” -Matthew 9:36-38 (ESV)
So good, Becca! Lately I'm doing a lot striving with little "success". I was so focused on what I was or wasn't doing that I forgot "God is not concerned with results". I think I'm worn out by the treadmill. lol
ReplyDeleteseriously, it's like test after test lately! and every time I think I "do it right," it doesn't seem to turn out the way I thought it should... but I guess that's not always the point, is it?
ReplyDelete